The RYA Dinghy Level 1 Course – Start Sailing
The RYA Dinghy Level 1 sailing course is designed to be an introduction to the sport of sailing. The course covers all you need to know to get afloat under supervision.
Marconi Sailing Club are an RYA (Royal Yachting Association) training centre and offer the RYA Level 1, Level 2, First Aid and Powerboat courses to our members.
The Sailing Course
- Assumed knowledge: None
- Minimum duration: 2 days
- Minimum age: None (although under 14s may prefer to learn through the Youth Sailing Scheme)
- Course content: How to sail in all directions, including an awareness of launching and recovering
- Ability after course: Able to sail in light winds under supervision
The RYA Level One course is for beginners who have done little or no dinghy sailing before. It is the first part of the RYA training scheme and its aim is to provide basic boat handling techniques and essential background knowledge. By the end of the course you will be able to sail safely under supervision. It is recommended that all participants consolidate this course with the RYA Level 2 (Basic Skills) course which gives you further skill to get out sailing proficiently on your own.
What will you cover?
You will cover a variety of topics both on and off the water. This will typically include:
- Sailing in all directions
- Turning the boat
- Confidence in the boat
- Capsize recovery
Off Water – Knowledge in:
- Rules of the road
- Basic navigation
What will I need?
For your RYA Dinghy Level 1 sailing course you will need to bring:
- Some sailing gear to wear which should include:
- Wetsuit (full length if possible)
- Buoyancy Aid (we do have some BAs at the club which you may be able to borrow)
- Warm/waterproof top if the weather is looking a little chilly. You may also want a hat and gloves
- Sun cream if the weather is looking sunny
- Shoes suitable for being in the water and grippy
- Lunch. Some days our on site galley (cafe) is open. Sundays are usually always open but not every Saturday. You will be made aware of availability when you book
- If under 18, you need a parent or guardian present at the club for the duration of the course
How do I book?
You can find out more about the RYA Dinghy Level 1 course and book by contacting Bob at email@example.com
How much does it cost?
Courses typically cost about £110 and are available to members only.
I’m not a member? Can I book a course?
If you’re not yet a member but are interested, you are always welcome to come a join the club or come along to our open days where you’ll find unique offers for courses and membership on those days. Open Days are run once a year, usually in May. It’s important to note that you can join the club all year round, not just at Open Days so do pop down to the club site to have a look around and talk with the members.