We pride ourselves on the wide skill base our members have which fits in very well with the clubs ethos of helping each other with our DIY problems. We also have what we call the “Wednesday Crew” consisting of volunteer members carrying out all sorts of tasks from electrical work to digging drains, needless to say there is lots of banter!
Certain machinery in operation at the club can only be used by members who have been specifically trained and tested to use it, see the list of operators. The training covers not only the mechanics of the equipment in use but safety aspects, it is therefore very important to understand the nominated “operator” is in charge and if they feel any action shouldn’t be carried out they have the final say.
From the boat owners point of view it is their responsibility to read the guides associated with the equipment in use, this is particularly important for Travel Hoist and Mast Derrick operations.
An understanding of the safety aspects will help you realise potential risks and how to avoid problems.
If you see or are involved in an incident you need to report it to comply with the Club Safety Records. Incident Report documents are kept in the club house located upstairs.
Below is a list of useful Suppliers and Engineers our members have used recently.
It’s by no means complete so if members have any preferential contacts from personal experience they would like added please refer to the Cruiser Who’s Who page.
- A Riva & Son Shipwrights Ltd – Adrian Riva T: 01621 851081 North Street, Maldon. Great for Woodwork Repairs etc.
- Boat Surveyor – Lawrence Weldon (Club Member) – Ark Surveys T: 01621 857065
- Buoys and Mooring Equipment – E.Y.E. Marine Ltd T: 01473 659666
- Buoys and Mooring Tackle – Boat Gear Direct T: 01473 655541 Subsidiary of E.Y.E. Marine
- Engine Mounts – A.V. Industrial Products Ltd. T: 01162 461261
- Fuel and Oil Filters – Cressy Limited T: 01708 852319 Sandy
- GRP Repairs, Mouldings, Polishing, Copper Coat & Painting Specialist. Brookland Marine Ltd.
Robert Stockwell T: 07927 490189
- Servicing all types of Engines including Outboards – Winterizing, Engine Installation and Alignment, Thrusters, Electronics, GRP Repairs, Valeting etc.. CHANDLERY – Based at Bradwell Marina.,
Althorne Marine Service John M: 07939 100822 Stephen M: 07904 329236
- Marine Engineer – Henry Haslam Southminster T: 01621 772395 Henry
- Masts & Spars – Sailspar Great Bromley, Colchester T: 01206 251348
- Resins, Gel Coats, Fibreglass, Polishes etc. – AOC (UK) Ltd. Manningtree T: 01206 430190
- Rigging – Modern & Traditional, Mast Fittings, Furling Systems, – TS Rigging Ltd Downs Road Boatyard, Maldon T: 01621 874861 Tom
- Rigging Replacement – DRS Rigging David Nicholls T: 01621 784716 M: 07796 032564
- Spray Hoods, Hand Rails, Sails and Dodgers – Dolphin Sails Harwich T: 01255 243366 Paul
- Water Proof Connectors, Batteries etc. – Chelmsford Auto Electric Ltd. Witham T: 01376 519300
- Stainless Steel Fabrication – Ron Canning T: 01268 544897 M: 07812 095067
- Stainless Steel Specialist / All Metal Fabrications – R.V. Fabrication Welding Services Witham
T: 01376 513419 Roy or Russell
- Engine Servicing, Winterising, Inboard & Outboard repairs plus Spares –
The Mechanic Unit 11, The Maltings, Maltings Road, Battlesbridge, SS11 7RH